The Mann is home to several beautiful sculptures with rich, unique histories.
Law, Prosperity, and Power
Artist: Daniel Chester French
Location: Near the North Gate and Crescendo tent at the top of the Mann's hill
In 1876, artist Daniel Chester French (1850-1931) was commissioned by the Supervising Architect of the U.S. Treasury Department to create sculptures for three federal buildings that were designed by Alfred B. Mullet in St. Louis, Boston, and Philadelphia. The sculpture featured on the Mann’s 2018 season programs, Law, Prosperity, and Power, was installed atop the exterior cornice of the second empire-style U.S. Post Office and Federal Building in Philadelphia, which was completed in 1884. The building was razed in the 1930’s and replaced with the current federal facility, designed by architect Harry Sternfeld. This Art Deco-style building was renamed the Robert N.C. Nix, Sr. U.S. Post Office and Courthouse in 1985. When the original Mullet building was completely demolished, the sculpture was saved and donated to the City of Philadelphia. It now resides at the Mann Center in Fairmount Park, atop a base designed by architect Paul Cret.
Ann Stookey Fountain
Artist: Glenn E. Zweygardt
Location: Next to the steps near the plaza
Donated to the Mann by Ann Stookey and husband Joe Waz. Installation of the fountain dedicated to Ann by her friends at the Wissahickon Garden Club and the Mann Center when she passed away in 2012.
Artist: Raymond Granville Barger
Location: Near the Mann’s press gate
Created by Bucks County, Pennsylvania metal sculptor Raymond Granville Barger (1906-2001). Dedicated in remembrance of Lawrence Katz, a longtime friend of the Mann, in 1984.
Artist: Gilda Ellis
Location: Right side of the pavilion (facing the stage)
Donated to the Mann by the artist, Gilda Ellis (daughter of Fredric R. Mann), her husband Dr. Richard Ellis, and their family.
Location: Outside of the Mann’s South Gates
Cast in 1849 near St. Petersburg, Russia as reproductions of the 1789 “Medici Lions” located at the Loggia dei Lanzi in Florence, Italy. Purchased by Philadelphia industrialist Andrew M. Eastwick while traveling in Russia on business. Donated to the Fairmount Park Art Association in 1887. Installed near Memorial Hall (today’s Please Touch Museum) and moved to the Mann in 1976. Currently owned by the City of Philadelphia.
Artist: Joseph L. Castle III
Location: The Mann’s Donor Terrace & Garden
Donated to the Mann by Sally Castle, mother of the artist, and former board member for the Mann. Gifted in honor of Mrs. Castle’s “love of music and nature.”
Catholic Total Abstinence Union Fountain
Artist: Herman Kirn
Location: Outside of the Mann (Avenue of the Republic & States Drive)
Iinitially built as an attraction for the 1876 Centennial Exposition and commissioned by the Catholic Total Abstinence Union of America, a religious organization that advocated for total abstinence from alcohol. Also known as The Catholic Total Abstinence Centennial Fountain or The Centennial Fountain, the fountain was intended to symbolize "the power of religion, the virtues of temperance, and the Irish Catholic love of patriotism and liberty."