In the summer of 2019, the School District of Philadelphia, the Mann Center for the Performing Arts, The Philadelphia Orchestra, and Project 440 will partner together to create a 2-week summer program that will help extend the All City Orchestra program into the summer months. This program will be free of charge to All City Orchestra students and will target young musicians from under-resourced communities. The goal of this program is to aid in limiting summer decline and help students to retain the music skills they have acquired that are crucial to their overall student development. This 2019 summer partnership will serve as the inaugural pilot with the goal of developing and sustaining this summer music education resource program for School District of Philadelphia All City students on an annual basis.
When is the Academy?
The inaugural All City Orchestra Academy will be July 15 - July 26, 2019.
How many students get in?
The Academy will serve 60 to 80 middle and high school orchestra students.
What will the Academy do?
Immersed in the Mann Center campus, students will enjoy the following programming:
- Full orchestra rehearsals on The Presser Foundation main stage at the Mann, conducted by Joseph Conyers, Director of All City Orchestra and Executive Director of Project 440
- Orchestra sectionals led by School District teachers and guest coaches from The Philadelphia Orchestra
- Life Skills and Entrepreneurship workshops provided by Project 440 – led by P440 teaching artists
- Lunch, snacks and Nutritional Education – provided by the Mann Center
- All Summer Academy students will have access to two Mann Center presents The Philadelphia Orchestra concerts.
- These concert experiences ground and solidify the skills acquired during the summer program.
- All City Orchestra Summer Academy will have a final performance for families and community members as a culmination of the summer program.
The 2019 All City Orchestra Summer Academy had its final performance on Sunday, July 28th at 2:00 PM. Families and our community members joined us at the Mann for an intimate performance on stage in the round. The performance was the culmination and final celebration of the summer program.
Photos from the performance coming soon!